Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Serious Japanese, Serious Boredom, And My 37,800円 Mirror

Listening to:
Teriyaki Boyz
Serious Japanese

The last couple of days have been dreadfully slow at work. The 2nd year students are all up in Kyushu for their class trip, and all of the 3rd years are busy studying for their entrance exams. As a result, I’ve taught a grand total of two classes over the past two days, and while it’s somewhat nice to get paid to sit at my desk and do nothing for a change, I’d much rather have a task of some sort to engage myself with. It doesn’t help matters that it sounds like the 2nd graders are having the time of their lives skiing and seeing the sites up on the mainland. As an instructor, the one thing that you should never be is jealous of your students, but there it is. Oh well, I’ve got a three day weekend coming up next month, so maybe I’ll fly somewhere and be a tourist for a few days.

I’ve had my PS3 for a while now, but I’ve been too caught up with Persona 4 to give the thing much run. I may not play it a lot, but I do spend a lot of time looking at the thing because it’s quite the sexy, sexy machine. Or maybe that’s just my reflection in it.



The one game that I have been able to spend a little time with is Portal. I went in with the understanding that Portal was a sophisticated, FPS style puzzle game, but it’s also pretty much the funniest thing that I’ve ever played. I honestly don’t know if I’ll be playing much of Half Life, if at all, but for 20 bucks, the Orange Box is worth it for Portal alone. I’ve actually never had a video game backlog quite like this before – Grand Theft Auto IV, Little Big Planet, Midnight Club Los Angeles, Bioshock, Soul Calibur IV, and Chrono Trigger DS – but I guess it’s a welcome dilemma. Street Fighter IV drops on February 12th down here, so I’ll likely end up pushing all those titles another notch down the list when I get my hands on a copy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

True, I got bored of Half-life and Team fortress very quickly. Portal on the other hand was awesome. I'm starting to collect JRPGs myself. I just bought Tales of Vesperia and pre-ordered Star Ocean 4. I guess I'm just filling the void until Final Fantasy XIII

Anonymous said...

some cats are saying that ar tonelico 2 (ps2) is pretty good. although i think that the "date-sim" aspect of the game is the most prevalent.

and i was thinking about picking up the t-boyz' new album, but i heard one of their "slow jams". guess i'm not that used to the j-hiphop scene yet. does that album have 'work that'? that song is kinda stupid good.

i'm not sure how you can find other people on the ps3, but you can try add me if you got the time. my id is cr8o. maybe one day we can play some sfiv. once i recover from this economic depression.