Monday, February 2, 2009

Pittsburgh Steelers Champs Again

It’s funny, I was sitting at my desk taking care of some work this afternoon when one of the history teachers walked by, and in Japanese, informed me that the Steelers had won the Super Bowl. There’s something markedly strange about finding out in Japanese, at work, on a Monday, who won the big game, but the peculiarity of the situation was quickly superseded by the thrill of hearing that the Steelers had won. Despite being a lifelong sports fan, my teams have a history of not winning championships, but with two titles over the past four years, the Pittsburgh Steelers are pretty much the exception to that rule. Not being able to watch the game live was a huge bummer, especially considering that people are hailing it as one of the best Super Bowls ever, but I suppose I’ll live. Big up to Big Ben, Santonio Holmes, James Harrison, and the rest of Steel Curtain 2K8.



I was also planning on tracking down the St-Pierre/Penn fight, but I didn’t bother since it sounds like Penn lost pretty convincingly. BJ is still tops at lightweight, so that certainly counts for something, but I guess the moral of the story is that you don’t mess around with multiple weight classes. That is, uh, unless your name is Anderson Silva. Somewhat ironically, now the fight that most people want to see is the aforementioned Silva versus St-Pierre. On paper, that’s one of the few fights that could potentially top GSP/Penn in terms of hype, but you inevitably run the risk of killing a title holder’s mystique when you have these champ versus champ fights. Not that I’d be against a GSP/Silva bout, but just for the sake of keeping the title holders looking strong, it might be a good idea to restrict champions to fighting within their divisions.

3 comments:

gandychan said...

Cardinals pretty much threw that game away with letting Holmes go wide open for the big play running up to the touchdown and Warner's int. I don't know if they deserved to win, but I guess they did what they needed to when it counted.

James Harrison also punched a cardinal to the ground and then punched him 2 more times while he was down. I don't think they won with class. Oh well. At least it was entertaining.

Anonymous said...

That game would have been so different if James Harrison tripped anywhere in between the two end zones. I agree with gandychan, he should have been ejected for his personal foul.

I cheered for the Steelers when they battled the Seahawks a couple years ago but this year I was cheering for the Cardinals. So I like both teams and the best team won it. One of the Greatest 4th quarters in my short Super Bowl history.

Anonymous said...

yeah j was telling me the same thing. apparently, he saw Harrison foul the crap out of some poor bastard. i only watched the first half, so i missed that.

his 100-yard return was pretty insane though. I thought he was gonna die after.