Sunday, October 12, 2008

Guilty Pleasure

Listening to:
Allister
Guilty Pleasures
"チェリー"

I went to a club the other weekend, where I remained absolutely sober for a good 4 hours. Maybe it’s because I’m used to clubs full of idiots who know that Soulja Boy dance by heart, or maybe it’s because I was in a club in a foreign country for the first time (or maybe it was the total absence of alcohol in me), but it turned out to be an interesting experience. One thing that caught me off guard was the DJ playing a rock version of Spitz's「チェリー」. I did a little bit of research when I got back to my place, and it turns out that the cover was done by the band Allister, of “Moper” fame. I distinctly remember listening to them late in our high school lives and hating on their cover of “I Want it That Way” with Ono, so Allister is probably the last band that I thought I'd be revisiting in my mid-twenties. Their take on「チェリー」is really great stuff, and I actually like their version better than Van Tomiko's (and that’s saying a lot). Granted, it’s kind of hard to mess up a great song like「チェリー」, but there’s nothing wrong with calling a good cover what it is.


No comments: