Tuesday, October 14, 2008

ネオパーク

I’ve been making it a point to visit some of the places from my childhood memories, including this old bird park way up in Nago. The exotic birds walking around all over the place initially makes for a cool experience, but all the birds kind of start to look the same after a while. There used to be a pretty amazing toucan exhibit there, where the birds would fly down from the trees and perch on your shoulders so you could feed them, but I guess something happened to one of the birds (or one of the humans), because all the toucans are chilling out in cages now. I'm nonetheless a sucker for any kind of zoo or aquarium, so I quite enjoyed myself.



I distinctly remember the place being much larger when I was 6, but I guess it was just one of those cases of the world appearing much bigger to you as a child.



They’ve also got giant fishes.



And pigs. I didn’t come to Okinawa to study animals or bask in the nature, but I’ve been getting substantial doses of both. When I go to the local athletic park for a jog at night, I have to keep a cautious eye out for poisonous snakes and low flying bats. Seriously.

No comments: