Monday, March 31, 2008

TUF + Rampage's big mouth = Quality TV

The Ultimate Fighter 7: Team Rampage vs Team Forrest, premiering this Wednesday, April 2nd on Spike. Instead of selecting coaches that legitimately hate each other this season (Shamrock/Ortiz, Serra/Hughes, etc.), the show looks to be taking a different approach by going with Quinton Jackson and Forrest Griffin, probably the two most affable, likable cats on the entire UFC roster.



Should make for an entertaining season, if only for the for the bizarre bits that will inevitably tumble out of the coaches' mouths. Case in point (post Rampage Jackson/Dan Henderson title fight):

Joe Rogan: I'm here with the champion, and still champion, unified champion! How's that sound Quinton?

Rampage: It sound real good baby, youknowhatimsayin', cuz I trained real hard for Dan, cuz I knew he was tough, but I never thought he would beat up my fist with his face. His, his...man, my fist hurt right now.

Joe Rogan: You were having problems with your left hand before this fight, how much did it hurt you during the bout?

Rampage: Actually, uh, my wrist did good, but it was just my knuckles goin' upside his head were hurtin'...it was a whole new injury now.

Joe Rogan: Great fight, very, very competitive fight, take a look at the big screen and talk us through some of the action here, tell us what you were thinking.

Rampage: I was thinking, "Boy, I better do somethin' or Dan gon' kick my ass." I saw him fall, and I missed em there, I was like, "Damn!" I tried to give him an ooo-whee knot, but then, I missed, oh, he hit me with a big uppercut, just doin' my thang, so I tired to give him one back, knowwhatimsayin', blow for blow, oh, ah! Damn, I dunno what I was gonna do, oh, I was gonna do a knee, but then he keep swingin', I missed my uppercut, I missed my hook, and I was like, "Damn!" Now this might be the end of the fight or somethin', I dunno where this at, but I tried to slam him cuz I ain't slam nobody in a while, but I say, "Oh, he's a Greco champion," so I figure I try and swing on him again, try to knock him out, but that's the last of...the thing, but he got a rock head, man.

Joe Rogan: Well, you had to be impressed by your grappling, how well you controlled him on the bottom.

Rampage: I was, I did good, a lotta people don't know, that I got JIU-JITSU. You know, my coach, man, he work hard. People don't know I got jiu-jitsu because I don't like submittin' folks, I like Big John McCarthy pullin' me up off folks, that's how I like to roll, you feel me? *stares intently at camera*

Joe Rogan: Well, Quinton, now you are the unified, unidsputed light-heavyweight champion of the world, congratulations! We can't wait to see your next fight. Ladies and gentlemen, Quinton Rampage Jackson!

Rampage: *takes mic from Rogan* Hey, I wanna praise God, he gave me everything I got, thank you so much! Thank you Dr. Ha-phoo for his wife, Ms. Robin...Ha-foo...if I say your name wrong, please forgive me, I'm kinda, you know...tired. Thanks to my family for lettin' me go on so long and do what I dreamed of doing, being the light-heavyweight champion of the UFC, the greatest sport in the world, WE TAKING OVAAH!

No comments: