Friday, June 19, 2009

Fear And Loathing Of Public Speaking

Listening to:
Do As Infinity
∞1

Want to know the hardest things about attending speech/story contests? Trying not to nod along to your student’s speech, and trying not to nod off to everyone else’s. Those district contests that have like 40 participants are rough, and I doubt it’s just me, because I think that sitting through three straight hours of kids reciting “The Lion and the Mouse” will test pretty much anyone’s resolve. My student didn’t end up placing in the top three, but I was still really proud of her. She’s not the type to speak in class, at all, ever, so a 5-minute speech in front of 100+ people with no notes and no microphone was a pretty epic undertaking for her. She did her best and (hopefully) grew a little as a person in the process, so I’m not disappointed in the least. At the same time, it’d be nice to actually have one of my kids place in a speech contest for a change. Not exactly easy considering that we only have two of them per year, but hey, there’s nothing wrong with clawing towards goals that are a little on the lofty side.

No comments: