Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Early Christmas gift

Listening to:
Do As Infinity
Need Your Love

After being seemingly the only person I know to dodge the cold that's been going around for the past few weeks, I finally woke up with the bug this morning. I'd been munching on Airbornes and drinking orange juice like my life depended on it, but to no avail apparently. Still, I guess you're bound to get sick sooner or later when you work with kids almost every day. Taking inadvertent kicks to the shins and wiping up boogers has become part of my daily routine. For the most part though, I love my kids. Today I was working with one of the 4-year-olds, and I noticed that she was digging in her pockets for some reason. After letting her rummage around for a minute or so, I asked her if she was looking for something. She confirms this by pulling out what appears to be a worn-out piece of cardboard with flower designs on it. "For you," she says. Upon closer examination, it turned out to be just a tag from some sort of clothing (complete with "Children's SIZE: 6"), but it was still pretty much the sweetest thing ever. At the risk of sounding a tad corny, the most incredible thing is when someone with nothing material to offer tries to give you something anyway. It ain't an easy job, but there are brief instances when I feel like I'd be willing to do it for free.

1 comment:

C K Okada said...

glad to hear you've achieved the "it's all worth it" feeling.