Saturday, April 4, 2009

Wrestlemania 25 Preview

I haven't really been following the product (for obvious reasons), but I always find myself getting interested again when the big show rolls around. Just on paper - and maybe it's just me - this card is looking pretty darn good. Aside from the annual Diva trash, I don't really see a match that doesn't look to have some degree of entertainment value. If there's one issue that I have with the card, it's the absence of an ECW title match. How hard would it be to give 10 minutes to Jack Swagger vs Evan Bourne? I don't really have much of an opinion on Swagger, but considering how over Bourne is, there's no reason why he shouldn't be somewhere on the card. Seriously, he was made for the Money in the Bank match.

The card:

Chris Jericho vs. Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat and Rowdy Roddy Piper w/Ric Flair
What's this all about? Jericho is the company's best heel aside from maybe (MAYBE) Orton, and you have him fighting a bunch of senior citizens? I don't really see the logic, but maybe I just missed something.

Extreme Rules Match: Matt Hardy vs. Jeff Hardy
Should be a good one. Might have been a good idea to keep the ECW title on Matt to give the belt some visibility, but oh well.

25-Diva "Miss WrestleMania" Battle Royal: Known Participants - Melina, Maryse, Mickie James, Gail Kim, Michelle McCool, Nikki Bella, Brie Bella, Alicia Fox, Kelly Kelly, Maria, Eve Torres, Katie Lea Burchill, Beth Phoenix, Layla El, Rosa Mendes, Candice Michelle, Natalya Neidhart, Jillian Hall, Tiffany, Sunny, Torrie Wilson, Molly Holly, Victoria and Jackie Gayda-Haas
Your obligatory bathroom break of the night. Actually, I take that back. Molly Holly!? At least she'll bring a little bit of awesome to the match. I still miss the days when Trish was still around and Mickie was still crazy.

Money in the Bank Ladder Match: CM Punk vs. Kane vs. Mark Henry vs. MVP vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Christian vs. Finlay
OH SNAP! MARK HENRY IN A LADDER MATCH! MARK HENRY IN A LADDER MATCH! That's reason enough to purchase this show. I don't really care who goes over in any of the other matches, but I'm pulling for my man, the Instant Classic Captain Charisma Christian Cage in this one.

Winner Takes All – WWE Tag Team Titles vs. World Tag Team Titles – Unified Tag Team Title LUMBERJACK Match: The Miz and John Morrison © vs. Carlito and Primo Colon ©
No shit, a Tag Title match at Wrestlemania? When was the last time we had one of those? I could do without the lumberjack stipulation, but I like that they're at least trying to make the Tag Titles look important.

IC Title Match: JBL © vs. Rey Mysterio
That, and we get an Intercontinental Title match as well? What's going on here? Kind of weird having a couple of former world champs fighting over the IC title, but I guess both these guys deserve their spot on the show in shape or form.

The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels
There are a few matches that have match of the night potential, and this is definitely one of them. It's kind of scary when you consider how good these guys still are at this point in their careers. Can't see any reason to end the Taker streak at this point, so the outcome isn't really much of a mystery. Should still be a real good match.

World Title Match: Edge © vs. The Big Show vs. John Cena
To be honest, I'm pretty lukewarm on all of these guys. Should be a pretty fun match at the least, with Edge or Cena likely going over. I'm actually not even sure what Show is doing in there.

WWE Title Match: HHH © vs. Randy Orton
Looks like the build for this one has been pretty well done. I'm starting to buy Orton as a sinister, conniving bastard, whereas I used to think he was just a dickhead. So yeah, it looks like he's been improving a lot as a heel. Logic suggests that Orton goes over and the Legacy runs Raw for a while, but again, you never know with HHH involved.

1 comment:

cr8 said...

yeah, not having a Swagger-Bourne match was really disappointing. I suppose they'd get a shitload of heat backstage if they both got on the card, since they're both relatively new. If they replaced Mizzark and Kane with those two, the MiTB would be everyone straight flying around the stadium. oh well, I was actually thinking they would triple threat the ECW title with Dreamer since it looks like he's on his way out. But I guess they already have a (wasted) triple-threat on the card.

Looks like a triple-main event, too. Too bad the Heavyweight title match will probably have a few dead spots b/c of Show. I'm really looking forward to HBK/Taker. That match is sure to get a nod for MotY.