Monday, April 27, 2009

小銭入れ

I finally caved and got myself a wallet for my coins. By definition, a wallet is something that holds “paper money and credit cards,” but I've also heard the term "coin wallet" used before, so...behold the coin wallet. Logic may tell you that it's a coin purse, but I humbly ask you to ignore logic for the sake of my masculinity.



A couple of weeks back, a bunch of the teachers and I were out at a popular drinking spot for the local college students here. We ended up playing this weird game where we set up an ashtray in the middle of the table, and each participant had to throw 100 yen into the pot whenever he/she said “sensei.” The idea was to do our best to not let the college kids know that we were instructors. It’s a lot harder than it sounds, especially since we’re so conditioned to saying “sensei” whenever we address each other during the day. You can imagine how difficult it can get once you’ve had a few drinks in your system. After a couple of hours had passed, people were dropping in 100 yen pieces left and right, but when I accidentally said the word, I had to throw in paper money because it’s all that I had on me. In fact, that’s usually how I roll unless I’m walking to the convenience store across the street from my apartment. Some of the other teachers interpreted it as me being too rich to carry coins, while the reality is that I simply don’t like the feeling of loose change jangling around in my pockets. Anyway, I didn’t need another reason for the other teachers to be giving me a hard time about the size of my salary, which was what eventually led to my latest purchase.

I haven't hit manbag territory yet, so I figure I'm still doing ok.

No comments: