Saturday, November 8, 2008

My (Favorite) Mistake

Listening to:
Sheryl Crow
The Globe Sessions
"My Favorite Mistake"

I usually take my lunch in the teacher's lounge, but in an effort to get to know my students outside of a classroom setting, I've also started to eat with the kids from time to time. The students down here have lunch in their homeroom classes, so it's a bit different from the states, where cafeterias are the norm. The first time I ate with one of the classes, we had a real chill, mellow conversation about Hawaii, Okinawa, sports, Stevie Wonder, and entrance exams. My intent was to have a comfortable chat about life with some of my students, and I certainly felt that I succeeded. But for one reason or another, I made the mistake of assuming that lunches with different classes would all follow a similar script. To say the very least, I was incorrect. I decided to eat with my favorite class the other day, and what ensued was not lunch, but sheer pandemonium. I never really stopped to consider what it'd be like to literally have 40 teenagers trying to talk to me at the same time, but needless to say, it doesn't make for very favorable lunching conditions. After not eating for a good half an hour, we finished with an impromptu photo shoot and a considerable amount of incomprehensible shouting. I didn't get to chat about life with them, but I did learn that, simply put, my favorite class is utterly incapable of shutting up. But I guess that's probably why they're my favorite class.

1 comment:

gandychan said...

do you have conversations in english with them?