Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Contextual Fury And I

Listening to:
YUI
My Short Stories

The A in ALT stands for assistant, but I’ve been teaching classes by myself since last week. The teacher for the first graders has been out tending to a serious family issue, so I’ve been running all of her classes in her place. I actually don’t mind given the circumstances, but considering that I have no formal training in the field, managing 35 students at a time can be quite a challenge. Ideally, the foreign teacher (me) should be a warm, approachable figure, but the reality is that you can’t always be that when you’ve got a class to keep in line. I already lost it once and yelled at a pair of students who were goofing around in the middle of the lesson, and the dead silence that followed was a step or two beyond uncomfortable. One girl standing at the back of the class had a look on her face as if I had just murdered someone. Now, I’m here to help the students learn English, not scare the shit out of them, but I guess that the two can go hand in hand within context.

One of my friends from one of the outer islands came to stay at my place over the weekend, and he couldn’t stop talking about GTA IV. I hadn’t thought particularly much about gaming over the past few months, but now I’m finding that I really want a next-gen console. I usually find a suitable reason not to take the plunge, namely money, but that isn’t so much of an issue for once. We’ll see. With T6, SFIV, and FFXIII all due out in 2009, I can’t see myself not having a PS3 by next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got tired of GTA IV pretty quickly. Maybe because when I first got it I played it for long hours straight. The only game I'd want on PS3 is Little Big Planet and I've already started getting bored with that even though I don't own it. Still, your next system should be a PS3 and not an Xbox 360. It feels way too late in the game to get an Xbox 360 anyway.