Monday, September 15, 2008

See You Later...

It's Respect for the Aged Day here in Japan (which I honestly had no idea existed until I played Persona 3). My grandma, whom I loved dearly, passed away last week, and it really hit me hard that I wasn't back home with her when she passed. I was seriously considering flying home during my second week on the job, but my aunty sent me the following in an email:
Her ashes will be scattered at Kuhio Beach on Saturday morning. Part of the reason is that her first son drowned there. She also did not want people to have to come back to a specific spot to pay their respects to her. The idea is that all the earth's waters eventually connect, so wherever we are in the world, we can place some flowers on the ocean, or in a river or stream, etc. and think of her. So, after Saturday, you can pay your respects anytime that you're near a body of water - even in Okinawa.
You know what? I like that.

1 comment:

gandychan said...

Hey. I'm here if you need anything.

The few memories I have of your grandma, when we went on a picnic in ala moana beach park and the rides she gave us from the academy of art to summerfun will never leave me. I just wanted to let you know.

take care