Sunday, September 7, 2008

One Month In...

Listening to:
GIRL NEXT DOOR
偶然の確率

I've been in Okinawa for just about one month now, and it's easily felt like the longest month of my life...but not necessarily in a bad way. The weather hasn't been much of an issue (as of yet), and I feel like I'm adjusting decently to my new workplace. One thing for sure, it feels nice being in an environment where people harp about how young you are. I'd been having a quarter-life crisis of sorts, so being the youngest teacher at the school definitely does my mind some good.

I printed out pictures of famous people with ties to Hawaii and showed them to the kids at school. For better or worse, it ended up turning into a frenetic quiz game of sorts. Some of the more popular answers:

Michelle Wie
- Tiger Woods, Maria Sharapova
Brian Clay - Tyson Gay, Usain Bolt
BJ Penn - Bob Sapp, Mirko Cro Crop, Kamehameha
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson - Will Smith, Brad Pitt, Kamehameha
Barack Obama - OBAMAA~. Japanese kids LOVE Obama and go bonkers whenever they see him. I'm not yet entirely sure why.
Angela Aki - "Piano Man" (lol)
Yuna Ito - my sister, my girlfriend
Israel "Iz" Kamakawiwoʻole - Akebono, Konishiki, Wada Akiko

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damn, your kids be messed up callin' Iz Wada Akiko. I don't think Iz had hands as big as hers.